Consecutive PostDoc Program
The Heidelberg Graduate School of Mathematical and Computational Methods for the Sciences (HGS MathComp) at the Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing (IWR) of the University of Heidelberg offers funding for up to three Post-Doc positions (TVL-E13) for a duration of six to twelve months. The funding period will be May 2018 to October 2019.
Part of the HGSMathComp funding instruments is a post-doc program, whose intention is to allow former doctoral members of the HGSMathComp to conduct follow-up research on their doctoral project. Interdisciplinary research projects often lead directly to new ideas where the methodology developed can be fruitfully applied with some additional work, but these ideas cannot be pursued because the doctoral project is limited to three years. In these cases it is highly desirable that these further results are obtained under the auspices of the graduate school.
Applications to the post-doc program must provide a clear statement on how the research will lead to high-quality publications and/or dissemination of scientific software within the time-frame of up to one year.
In accordance with the guidelines and objectives of the HGS MathComp, all applications will be assessed on the following criteria:
- The candidate has to be a (former) fellow of the HGS MathComp.
- Clear statement on how the research will lead to high-quality interdisciplinary publications and/or dissemination of scientific software within the funding period.
- The candidate has to have a proven track record of very high scientific quality. An external letter of recommendation documents this aspect.
- Strong support by two supervisors of the HGS MathComp (full members) is documented by letters of support (formal).
- Funding is limited to a period from 6 to 12 months. The funding period should relate to the quantity of the proposed program.
The HGS MathComp has the goal of promoting female junior scientists. At equal quality of applications, female candidates will be given preference.
Schedule for the next funding period:
February 19, 2018 Beginning of the application process
March 20, 2018 Application deadline (electronic process via Web interface)
March 31, 2018 Deadline (supplementary documents: letters of recommendation, etc.)
April 9, 2018 Presentation of candidates and selection
April 2018 (tbd.) Personal interviews to determine qualification horizon
May 2018 or later Start of funding
Application (IMPORTANT - please read this section carefully!)
To apply please use the PostDoc 2018 application interface. Apart from the usual application data please provide
- Title/subject of your project (field "PHD subject")
- A project plan for the period you apply for ( field "PHD project plan")
- The two supervisors who support your application
- A letter of motivation describing how your project fits to the program
- Two letters of support by your supervisors, confirming that they will support the application
- One external letter of recommendation by a non-HGS-member
Letters of support/recommendation can also be sent directly to HGS MathComp (by mail/email). In this case please upload a short PDF document indicating the direct submission of this information.
The postdoc program - a qualification program
According to WissZVG, this program specifically aims to fund qualification periods for young researchers immediately after their doctoral project. The key qualification idea is to successfully conlcude the research phase of the PhD project, which usually leaves open strands and items that have to be completed before a next step (e.g. the classical postdoc) phase can be undertaken. This situation corresponds to the time frame given above.
After succesful evaluation in this application, HGS MathComp will invite the selected young researchers receiving support in this program to conduct a personal interview with the coordinator, the administrative director of HGS MathComp as well as one more principal investigator to formulate the qualification horizon that corresponds to the temporary contract associated with the respective proposal. Based on this interview, the contract is offered refelcting an appropriate time span to conduct the qualification.
In case of further questions regarding WissZVG, we recommend the assistance leavelet of DFG (German Science Foundation).