Consecutive PostDoc Program
HGS MathComp offers funding for up to two Post-Doc positions (TVL-E13) for the duration of six, nine or twelve months.
Part of the HGSMathComp funding instruments is a post-doc program, whose intention is to allow former doctoral members of the HGSMathComp to conduct follow-up research on their doctoral project.
Interdisciplinary research projects often lead directly to new ideas where the methodology developed can be fruitfully applied with some additional work, but these ideas cannot be pursued because the doctoral project is limited to three years. In these cases it is highly desirable that these further results are obtained under the auspices of the graduate school and not elsewhere.
Applications to the post-doc program must provide a clear statement on how the research will lead to high-quality publications or dissemination of scientific software within the time-frame of up to one year.
In accordance with the guidelines and objectives of the HGS MathComp, all applications will be assessed on the following criteria:
- The candidate has to be a former fellow of the HGS MathComp.
- Clear statement on how the research will lead to high-quality interdisciplinary publications or dissemination of scientific software within the funding period.
- The candidate has to have a proven track record of very high scientific quality.
- Strong support by two supervisors of the HGS MathComp (full members!).
- Funding is limited to one year. It is also possible to apply for a shorter funding period. The funding period should relate to the quantity of the proposed program.
The HGS MathComp has the goal of promoting female junior scientists. At equal quality of applications, female candidates will be given preference.
Schedule for the next funding period:
Application Deadline: 15.10.2016
Deadline for direct submission of references 27.10.2016
Selection Committee Meeting: 21.11.2016 (to be confirmed)
Start of Funding: Jan 2016 (or later)
Application (IMPORTANT - please read this section carefully!)
To apply please use the PostDoc 2016/17 application interface. Apart from the usual application data please provide
- Title/subject of your project (field "PHD subject")
- A project plan for the period you apply for ( field "PHD project plan")
- The two supervisors who support your application
- A letter of motivation describing how your project fits to the program
- Two letters of recommendation by your supporting supervisors
Letters of recommendation can also be sent directly to HGS MathComp (by mail/email). In this case please upload a short PDF document indicating the direct submission of this information.
The postdoc program - a qualification program
According to WissZVG, this program specifically aims to fund qualification periods for young researchers immediately after their doctoral project. The key qualification idea is to successfully conlcude the research phase of the PhD project, which usually leaves open strands and items that have to be completed before a next step (e.g. the classical postdoc) phase can be undertaken. This situation corresponds to the time frame given above.
After succesful evaluation in this application, HGS MathComp will invite the selected young researchers receiving support in this program to conduct a personal interview with the coordinator, the administrative director of HGS MathComp as well as one more principal investigator to formulate the qualification horizon that corresponds to the temporary contract associated with the respective proposal. Based on this interview, the contract is offered refelcting an appropriate time span to conduct the qualification.
In case of further questions regarding WissZVG, we recommend the assistance leavelet of DFG (German Science Foundation).